Friday, June 21, 2013

BOTW #22 & Concert Recap - Rachael Yamagata

Dealbreaker Heart Tour 2013.
June 19, 2013.
Tractor Tavern - Seattle, WA
Cell pix by A-Tran.
This week's BOTW feature is on Rachael Yamagata, a singer/songwriter that has been such a big inspiration to me ever since I heard her for the first time nearly 9 years ago! I painfully had to stay home back in 2004-05ish whilst my mom went to her show on the "Happenstance" tour. Since RY only ever plays 21 & over shows, it was not until last year did I get the opportunity to catch her in Seattle for the first time after I was old enough!

I remember the day I first heard "Happenstance," Rachael's debut album, and I instantly became a fan of her beautifully raspy and raw voice, artfully constructed lyrics, and enchanting piano melodies. "Happenstance" is one of few records that I have experienced and can listen to the entire thing without skipping a track.

With the release of "Elephants... Teeth Sinking Into Heart," "Chesapeake," and "Heavyweight," following her debut album, you can really hear RY's artistry evolve. I like to compare her voice and music to wine, it has definitely gotten better and matured with age. RY's ability to pour her heart out into a song is so inspiring and beautiful. Rachael is the epitome of the singer-songwriter genre, and I am definitely taking notes!

RY's songs have so many feels that you would probably think her live shows to be potentially really sad and a Debbie Downer... but, WRONG! Her live shows are full of nothing but tears of joy and laughter! Between songs, she usually narrates how she came about writing them and cracks jokes with the audience. Rachael is literally one of the most hilarious, endearing, and genuine artists I have ever had the chance to watch. She is also super cool to come out after every show and take the time to talk to all her fans, I highly recommend catching her next show!

A few favorites from each record...
1. Happenstance: Letter Read, I Want You, I'll Find a Way, Worn Me Down

2. Elephants... Teeth Sinking Into Heart: Duet, Elephants
3. Chesapeake: Dealbreaker, Full On, Even If I Don't, You Won't Let Me
4. Heavyweight: Heavyweight, It'll Do

Video clips of the show a couple nights ago!...

RY & I!



Check back next week for a feature on one of my new favorite voices! In the meantime, you have a lot of Rachael music to listen to. (:


Peace, Love, & Rock n' Roll,
A-Tran.

No comments:

Post a Comment